Thursday 31 January 2013

First Draft of Magazine Cover


This is my first draft for my magazine cover. After analysing other magazine covers I decided to adhere to the typical conventions of covers in order for my own to look as professional as possible.
 I am extremely happy with the picture in the centre of the page, i used photo editing software in order to 'cut out' the image of Bloody Mary. I decided to use one large image on the cover rather than a couple, as i didn't want the cover too look too busy and intimidating to people who may purchase it.
 I also made sure that I included obvious features such as the barcode, date and price in order for the magazine to look realistic. (although the price had to be in dollars as the pound sign doesn't work on the key board!)
 I also made use of certain features so that the cover would appeal to the target audience of teens and young adults. I did this through making sure that the actors name was large and noticeable, making use of 'famous' actors names would attract the audience.
In addition, I adhered to a particular colour scheme.I noticed that this was used on other, professional magazines. I chose to use black red and blue, the black and red work well as there is a horror film on the cover so the colours have connotations of horror. 
In order to make the film name stand out on the cover I used a different type of font to the rest of the cover. This font is very similar to that i have used on my film poster, so that the two will tie in together. In addition I have also chosen to use a 'type writer' font, this works well and contrasts with the 'capital' font i have also chosen to use. In addition, its also ties with my trailer in that certain parts show this 'typewriter' font.
Further more I have written 'provocative' quotes from an interview on the cover, again as the audience is quite young this will entice them towards buying the magazine. Eg "I NEVER THOUGHT IT WOULD END UP LIKE THIS".
In addition to this, I have also chosen to use offers of competitions for example "WIN TICKETS TO UNIVERSAL STUDIOS".

However, I think there is too much leading on the top right hand corner. In my next draft I will change the layout out and possibly add other features to fill up this space. I also want to change the banner on the top of the page and possibly the font used as the title of the magazine. I feel that they don't look as professional and cheapen the look of the cover. I may also add a fourth colour of grey to the cover, as the colour scheme may be seen as repetitive.

To ensure that the cover looks as realistic as possible, I will ask members of my target audience what makes them want to buy the cover, and what they think should be improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment