Monday 11 February 2013

magazine cover final



This is my third and final design of my magazine cover. I ended up changing the design significantly compared to my previous two covers. In order to create my magazine I had to consider the audiences expectations and audience gratifications. I had to adhere to conventions of film magazines so that the audience could anticipate what the film would be like. I also had to consider what features would pleasure the audience and make them want to purchase the magazine. This is why I used one main image on the cover, I noticed that othe magazines would keep the design simple, so that the  audience could easily understand which would be the main characters. When considering audience gratifications, I decided to add actors names in a larger font as a means of celebrity endoursement. The audience will idolise and have interest in celebrities and so would purchase the magazine and thus find out more about the 'Bloody Mary' film.
It was important that I considered coherancy when creating both of my ansillary tasks. In order for both to look professional and for the audience to link both the poster and cover togther, I ensured that I used the same fone when writing the title of the film 'Bloody Mary'. Additionally, as I mentioned previously, I have chosen the font style of 'bloody mary' to be similar to that of the gothic horror era, this is so that it acts as a 'double mode of address', it will adress the obvious target audience but may also attract the attention of a possible older audience, who will relate the font to films they have seen in their youth. They will be attracted to buy the magazine/ watch the movie.
Due to the fact that my target audience would be classed as E & D on the ABC scale (students & working class). I ensured that I used a bright and bold colour scheme, that with held connotations of youth and fun but also connotations of horror.
I have also changed the title of the magazine to 'shock'. I feel that this name is more appropriate to a film magazine, as in my opinion the point of film is to change the audiences perspective in some way and to suprise or 'shock' them when they end up changing an opinion.
I also ensured that I used words that would inrtigue possible readers such as 'top' and 'hot', they connotate that the magazine will be the best and be interesting to read. I ensured that captions were short and snappy so that it would appeal to a youth audience. 'HOT TOPIC' sounds brief but acts as a form of colloquialism, which will appeal to my target audience.
I also structured the layout of the magazine so that it adhered to western cultural conventions and would thus uppeal to my audience. I considered how the audience would read the text (from left to right) and layed the page out so that I could fit as much information as possible in the order I wanted, without the page appearing overwhelming or 'too packed'.
After referring my second design of the cover, members of my target audience told me that the white back ground made the text appear dull, and unproffesional. So i went back to the drawing boards and chose grey. I felt a darker colour would work more effectively as it denotes connotations of horror. However, black appeared to harsh against my previous colour scheme so I chose grey.

Overall, I am pleased with my final cover. I feel that it adheres to conventions of film magazines and is tailored to my target audience. However, to improve I would have liked to perhaps simplify the colour scheme to one or two colours... I feel that four is a bit much.

No comments:

Post a Comment